Friday, December 6, 2013

Seven Quick Takes vol 69.


Joining Jen and the other better takers this week. Go visit Conversion Diary for your weekly fix!


{one}



Greetings from the coldest place on earth right now. No, I'm not even being dramatic. (Although I do want to make a dramatically big deal about it.) But Alberta really is the coldest place on earth right now, so Santa has nothing on us. Apparently it feels like -41 C out right now, but I'm not going to test that theory. I'm boycotting the outdoors until I have to leave for Mass tomorrow. I can do it! I have satellite tv and the internet!

{two}



So a happy feast of St. Nicholas to you and all your filled-shoe loving children! My kids have grabbed the St. Nicholas tradition and run with it after only two short years of practicing it and awoke this morning with squeals of glee upon finding gold chocolate coins in their snow boots, and suddenly Christmas oranges became about 100% cooler than they were yesterday for breakfast! We've read our new St. Nicolas books, topical St. Nicholas books, and now I'm exhausted and the kids are grumpy so they're watching cartoons and I'm here.

Yay, St. Nicholas!

{three}

In the Advent vein, have you noticed how quickly children grab onto tradition? "As in last year we did this for Christmas why can't we do that this year?" It always astounds me that these kids can't remember that I asked them to wash their hands after going to the bathroom 2.6 million times, but they have picture perfect recollection of each treat St. Nicholas brought them two years ago. I mean, Really?!? 

{four}

But really, I think if this basic desire for tradition comes out in toddlers pretty much without prompting that it speaks to the truth that there is something inherent in human nature that desires tradition. Of course, modern thinking thinks tradition is some crutch of the masses, but when you see it in your individual sweet babies and homes then I think that changes things. Another wonderful thing you learn in the family, that goes out to mean so much more in the world around you. Even if society tells you otherwise!

{five}



I think Advent so far has been going well. Sure, Luke asks me everyday if tomorrow is Christmas, and I say "Nope, not till all the candles are lit!" Then by dinnertime they'll want to lit all the candles so tomorrow can be Christmas. Everyday. But we've got three more weeks so surely it'll sink in right?? Right??

I've been fitting in a little more reading/quiet prayer time, by some miracle! An Advent miracle! There have also been funny little things I've been noticing. Things overheard in stores, or in line to see Santa, stuff jumping out from Gospel readings. I'm pretty sure it all links together somehow, but it's taking a while to sink into me. But I hope it is and I'm making heads or tails out of it. I like how Advent makes me watchful and a little more attentive to these little things. The Holy Spirit works in little ways more often than not I think.

{six}

Also-I'm thinking about all my pregnant friends right now! Since I've been pregnant during Advent, I know how difficult it can be to have so much to do while being in the throes of pregnancy. Its tough. With each pregnancy I've also noticed how similar that waiting of pregnancy, especially the last month or so, really relates to the waiting of Advent. Its intense, its focused, you can't avoid the fact that you're waiting for something miraculous and important. A mother nearing the end of pregnancy is someone who is intensely focused. And focused completely. I think its the best example of the type of waiting we're supposed to be experiencing during Advent. Although, harder to practice when you're not in the constant physical discomfort/anxiety/anticipating mentality that you can't avoid in pregnancy. Its hard to imitate!

Prayers for all my mother friends!

{seven}



I can say I haven't made much progress towards Christmas itself this week. And I'm kinda ok with that. I've been snowed/frozen in all week, getting a bit of cabin fever, but I haven't baked anything or prepared anything really either. I haven't shopped other than a couple online things ticked off the list. I'm trying to keep that weird Christmas-anxiety of "MUST BE WRAPPING/BAKING/BUYING SOMETHING ALL THE TIME!!" at bay because its really a drag. I think today we will bake something, because its much to cold to think about going outside and those are the perfect days to bake something yummy. 

Hope you have a lovely weekend everyone - eat some gingerbread ok?



follow along:

facebook ~ instagram ~ pinterest

8 comments:

  1. I've said it before and I'll say it again: Christy, you're like a modern day pioneer! Whenever I see your wintery instagrams I think of Laura Ingalls Wilder's The Long Winter. You're amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This explains why all my neighbors are from Alberta from October until April. How can you spot a Canadian in Arizona in December? He's the guy wearing shorts and a fleece vest when the temperature is 60 F (Arizonans are all bundled up in multiple layers). Maybe you can be a snowbird when you retire. Stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh "Smoky Lake County" sounds so Gothic. I'm now going to imagine you surrounded by moors, and wuthering and probably the hound of the Baskervilles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel your pain! When I took my son to school this morning and then went to a playdate with the other 2 it felt like -41! And hours later it's still -35 :( We're staying in, nice and cozy, for the rest of the day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. And to think, I was complaining that it was -6 here in Denver this morning and my bare legs were cold whilst trooping into the coffee shop. (None of my pants fit.) This is beach weather compared to yours!

    p.s. #6, so true. Weirdly preoccupied with more than just shopping and somehow grateful to be synched up with the Blessed Mother in this tangible way. Well, mostly grateful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It got all the way up to 3 degrees F here (I checked, -16 for you Canadians) so you definitely win, but it's freaking cold here too. If only Grace would understand that no, we can't go to the playground when it's this cold!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nothing seems to bring out bad behavior in my kids like me failing to get them out of the house in the morning, so I can only imagine the misery of being trapped inside during the winter.

    We're also in the very early stages of our Christmas prep, but I'm ok with that. There's no reason to make myself crazy, and there is reason to try to savor Advent.

    Hope you enjoyed your baking!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't even wrap my mind what -41 must feel like. It was 80 here today. 80! We were outside in shorts and a t-shirt and we were HOT! I'm not bragging. It actually makes me kinda sad because it reminds me how far Florida really is from the rest of the world.

    ReplyDelete

Imagine we're having a coffee together and let me know what you think --
I love comments almost as much as coffee!

(And please check to make sure your email address is connected to your profile, I'd love to email you a reply.)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...